Forums Forums Traffic Signs General Discussion Disabled Bay for a specific person

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
  • #3426
    Joe Hawke

    Evening Troops,

    Has anyone placed a disabled bay for use by a specific person, and how do you tie the bay to the property/person? Also, did you need to put together an order for this?

    Our bays are placed without an order and, as such, any disabled badge holder can use them however we have had a couple of instances where disputes have arisen over these bays.

    The TSRGD makes continual reference to a “permit identifier” as a means of reserving a bay but there’s no information as to whether this would have to be a council issued permit, or if it could be simply the house number.

    Just looking to find out what others have done in these situations.


    August 2018

    In 2012 councils in England were all given a special authorisation for a sign and road marking for this. The plate wording was “Disabled permit no. xxx only” alongside the ‘P’ symbol (no blue badge symbol). This is now prescribed in TSRGD 2016 for anywhere in GB, as is the option to put the permit number as part of the road marking (S7-5-1(4)).

    It is possible that TSM Chapter 3 will recommend that the blue badge symbol is now used as well. That is also a prescribed option, but using it would require that the bay is at least 6.6 m long.

    All these options require a TRO. The code used is up to the authority to devise, and then to provide some form of permit to the person concerned bearing the same reference.


    October 2018 edited October 2018

    But at law it is not lawful to allocate / reserve part of the highway to one person


    October 2018

    Possibly not, but as no-one has made a court challenge on this, the law remains unclear.

    A more glaring case of this is in primary legislation, so would be more difficult to challenge. The TMA allows only someone with the permission of the occupier to park across a residential access (crossover) in the absence of specific restrictions. Gaining consent for a crossover in an unrestricted area therefore gives you at least two car spaces for your own exclusive use: on your driveway on your property, and in the public highway across your crossover

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.