Forums Forums Traffic Signs TSRGD 2016 2016 TSRGD now out

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Boyd
    Keymaster

and comes into force on 22 April.
    See it here: http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2016/362/pdfs/uksi_20160362_en.pdf

BrynBuck
    March 2016

Thanks for the heads up Simon. I will need to ensure my office gets sufficient copies circulated in time for the switch over now.

warren
    March 2016

Hi Simon,

Thanks its great to hear the date has finally been set.

Are the replacement Traffic Signs Manuals ready for release now as well?

SimonMorgan
    March 2016

There will be a circular from DfT explaining the changes before the new TSRGD comes into force on 22 April, but we will probably have to wait until 2017 for updated Chapters 3 and 5 of Traffic Signs Manual, with other chapters to follow. ‘Peer review’ drafts may be out sooner.

JulieW
    April 2016

I’ve been looking at the signs for an environmental weight limit (622.1A) and my reading of the new regs is that we are no longer restricted to 7.5t or 18t but can vary to any limit as required. Pending the release of the circular, has anyone else noticed this?

SimonMorgan
    April 2016

Hi Julie
    This was discussed quite a bit at the consultation stage, and several respondents pointed out the difficulty of enforcement for limits that don’t correspond to a ‘plated’ vehicle weight. But DfT receive quite a lot of requests for authorisation for non-standard limits and wanted to avoid this workload.

I think TSM Chapter 3 will continue to recommend using 3.5t, 7.5t or 18t, and anything else will be at the authority’s own risk regarding enforceability.

SDCR
    April 2016

Hi,

Does anyone know when the DfT circular mentioned above will be released?

Thanks.

JulieW
    April 2016

Hi Simon,

Many thanks for your response. I have been looking at a 3t weight limit rather than a 3.5t as it corresponds to those given for a structural weight limit. Is there a particular reason that 3.5t is advised for environmental rather than 3t?

Thanks

SimonMorgan
    April 2016

To answer the first question, I think DfT are pretty close to releasing their notes on the new TSRGD (over 100 pages I have heard). I’m guessing it will either be out on 22 April, or perhaps a few days later.

I’m not an expert on vehicle plating, but I think you can tell whether a lorry is above or below 3.5t by the signs on the back of it. I’m assuming that’s why the London Safer HGV zone is based upon 3.5t. I suggest you discuss this with whoever will be enforcing the restriction, as they probably won’t be happy if it cannot be done visually. (And if no enforcement is lined up, is it worth introducing a restriction that might be widely contravened?)

Does anyone else know more about this?

SDCR
    April 2016

Thanks, Simon.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.